Communion dress

If you read me regularly, you may have noticed that the dressmaking bug has bitten with year, so what's more natural than sharing the fun and making clothes for the children too. And of course, a good project to start with would be my daughter's first holy communion dress... oh yes, why not? Probably sounds crazy to most sane people but anyway, once I decided I would give it a try of course I had to!

I ordered some satin online and organza to jazz it up a little and found an "easy" Burda pattern that would fit what I was trying to make so off I went!
The satin wasn't so bad but cutting organza is just horrible... it moves all over the place, as to finding the grain line, well just forget it! The white satin was quite thin in the end so I bought some white cotton too to line the skirt as I didn't want it to transparent. I got to that point with the zip on!


 and decided that it needed jazzing up a little so I ordered some lace to put on the bodice of the dress that I added on the front and back. I hand sew the lace as I thought it would be easier on the nearly finished garment.


And the weather had been a little bit on the cold side while I was making the dress so I was worried she might be cold and would maybe need a sleeve so I added the bolero to the to-do list!
I bought a satin fabric with big circles sewn to it as I was worried with regular satin it would be a little plain. The body of the bolero is lined but not the sleeves.


Anyway, the communion was nearly 2 weeks ago now.... we had a great time. Once the sewing was over there was a lot of cooking involved to cater for our 20 guests that had come from France! That's also why I have completely deserted the blog in the last few weeks!

Of course, the dress is not perfect but hey. I made it. I would never have believed I could do something like this 6 months ago!

My daughter was beautiful of course! I was so proud of her and of her dress too! She wore a hand made necklace (choker) for the occasion.

Now this is a big tick of my Finish Along list, a big OPAM and also my One Monthly Goal. Lining to Needle and Thread Thursday, Whoop Whoop Friday.
Celine

Comments

  1. What a lovely dress, just beautiful for a pretty little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so pretty, I think your daughter looks beautiful in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful dress and jacket you made. I would never have thought to add those circles to the jacket -- they really make it look modern. Your daughter looks darling in it. Congratulations on a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful dress - you did a wonderful job. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter is gorgeous! Great job on the beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful dress. You did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. So special. Congratulations on your finish on behalf of the 2017FAL Q2 Hosts. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments.
Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

Popular posts from this blog

September in the Hexagon!

Blog hop and a giveaway

Dare to Dresden - Day 5